So, here it is. The most important reason to pay attention to the Australian Open once it is over: the outfits. In general, I don’t really care what the men are wearing. As long as it isn’t as ugly as this outfit, they’re usually doing fine.
Since I’m generally more interested in the intensity and suspense the men’s matches have to offer (go Rafa!), I sometimes need a reason to turn on the women’s matches. What’s better than watching a match and at the same time getting some inspiration on what to wear the next time you yourself are on the court? That’s how I feel most of the time when I watch women’s tennis on TV. If you’re going to go out there and get all sweaty, you might as well look good doing it.
So without further ado, the “Top 5 Outfits of the Aussie Open”. If you don’t have these outfits yet, you should definitely think about buying them.
1. Caroline Wozniacki: It’s no surprise that a dress from adidas by Stella Mccartney tops my list. She’s making the most creative outfits on tour, and even though it’s a little bit more functional than the ones prior, it’s still an absolute eyecatcher. A subtle pattern can go a long way in giving your outfit a subtle femininity without going over the top. Also, there might not be a better player to pull off this look than Wozniacki.
2. Julia Glushko: Again, no surprise coming in hot is adidas by Stella Mccartney. Clearly you can’t go wrong dressed in Stella McCartney. Even though Julia Glushko from Isreal, who is donning this outfit, didn’t have much luck with the draw (she lost in the first round), she made a fashion statement. Actually, none of the women wearing this brand could even get into the round of the last 16.
3. Ana Ivanovic: There were a few players who rocked this adidas ensemble (see Daniella Hantuchova) but you have to give props to Ana Ivanovic who sported it while she upset Serena Williams in the 4th round. On the biggest stage she played flawless tennis and looked good doing it (well, she usually always looks good). This dress might seem to be a bit tame but it’s the little details and the pop of color that make this a top 3 outfit.
4. Victoria Azarenka: She was one of the favorites to win the Aussie Open this year but was knocked out by Radwanska in the semis. She did however make it further than most in this tournament of upsets, so we got to see her in this outfit longer than most. This purple skirt-shirt combo made her look much more feminine compared to past outfits. She can thank Nike for making her one of the best dressed players in this tournament.
5. Anna Schmiedlova: To be honest, I have no idea who this chick is. Maybe more importantly, I have no idea who she is wearing! This 19 year old from Slovakia made it through the first round but unfortunately lost in straight sets in the second. I was ready to see her, or more specifically, her outfit, in more than just two rounds of the Aussie Open. It’s nothing we haven’t seen before but you can never go wrong with simplicity.